Tuesday, June 1, 2010

40 Minute Open Water Swim

At the Kansas City Triathlon I had a terrible open water experience.  I decided that if I was going to do more triathlons I would need as much open water practice as I could get.  Luckily there's a lake about 10 minutes from our house that does open water swims Tuesday and Thursday evenings (after Memorial Day so today was the first one).

It was pretty cool because there were probably 50-100 triathletes that showed up for practice and they had bouys set up a few hundred yards apart and you could just swim.  There were enough people there that you had to do a little swimming in traffic, but not so many that you had to worry about really getting smacked in the face too much, which was great. 

Long story short, today was a great open water experience.  I worked really hard on sighting, swimming straight and keeping an even ryhthm.  I think with a few more practice sessions I'll be in good shape for my next race in July.

3 comments:

x said...

so good to hear!!!!! I grew up training for open water swims in California but the churn at the beginning still kinda flips my mind a lil... I try to go out as often as I can.

Brandon said...

NICE DUDE! I wish we had a lake around here that offered that. We only have disgusting rivers near by. lol

Mrs. GIAS said...

Glad yesterday's swim went well! Between the hustle and bustle of bath time/bed time for the girls and catching up with you about the rest of your day, I forgot to ask you about your swim. =(

Sounds like this will be a good confidence builder for you and get you some much-needed open water experience! Love you!