Sunday, January 3, 2010

Triathlon Training Schedule

My Tri schedule is a bit meandering and doesn't take well to explanation day by day on a blog.  For that reason, I'll give you the short version of how it works, then you can see my progress each day.  I also had to modify the actual schedule a bit to conform to my life.  (If you really want to see a calendar version, click that link, it's pretty close.)

  • This is a volume building program.  It might incorporate speed work later, but right now I'm worried (literally) about survival.
  • The program is minutes based, not distance based, that is, my workouts will all be in terms of minutes, not miles (although I'll track all of it) 
    • A typical workout would be "27 minute swim" - the distance is secondary.  Again, this is to build volume right now, not speed.
  • Each week works each disciplne twice a week, one "short session" and one "long session"
    • e.g. I swim twice a week, once for 30 minutes (short) and once for 48 minutes (long) - the times vary, of course
  • The schedule is in five blocks, four weeks each block, the first three weeks build on each other by adding 10% per workout, per week
    • The fourth week is a "recovery week", which is shorter sessions of each instead of a 10% increase
    • The next training block takes the previous high numbers and starts adding 10% again
If my math is right, I've scheduled myself to finish training for the Kansas City Triathlon on May 23, 2010

No comments: