Saturday, June 26, 2010

60 Minute Swim, 60 Minute Bike

Note fromThe Geek:  Yikes!  I've been gone a while.  Me and the family were out of town for a few days and then I had a monster few days at work in order to catch up and I just haven't had time for blogging.  That's not to say I didn't work out, I did some modified workouts while out of town, mostly CrossFit stuff, but probably not as much as I should have.  The good news is, I didn't gain any weight, the bad news is, I feel like a slacker...


I was back to my old schedule today, up at 4:30am and to the pool.  I spent about an hour swimming doing some ladders for warm up and 500's for my main set and then a cool down.  I swam the 500's on the 7:15, which is an average right around 1:27/500, which I am happy with given my lack of hard swimming practice lately.

My story from the gym today is a similar one that I've told before, but my after talking to my father in law earlier today, he reminded me of a Seinfeld episode that was especially relevant.  Everybody's seen the Yada-yada episode.  In it there is talk of the "Jewish workout" (Seinfeld's term, not mine) where a guy goes to the gym sits in the sauna for 30 minutes and leaves.  The allure is that if you sit in the sauna for a half hour you sweat a bunch and lose 3-5 pounds.

One of those guys was at the gym this morning.  Of course it's all water weight and you could get the same effect by just not drinking anything for a few hours.  Whatever.  There was a guy who got there at 5am and say in the sauna for thrirty minutes and then left.  He literally got up early to sweat out water and then go back to whatever he was going to do this morning.  Weird.  I wonder what would happen if I asked him to jump in the pool with me and do a few laps.

If finished my swim and headed home for a bike ride.  It was hot and humid again, even though it was just a little after 6am.  I rode the course I would be on for my next triathlon which is around Shawnee Mission Park Lake.  The sun was coming up as I was circling the lake, it was beautiful.  It would have been better had I not been sweating like a prostitute in church.

No comments: