Saturday, January 2, 2010

P90X Results and Pictures

I started P90X in February 2009.  It was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself.  In just a few months, I've gone from office drone who's idea of a good workout included lowering myself slowly to the floor before eating a pizza, to feeling the need to exercise everyday no matter what. I used to eat sporadically and when I did eat, I would over-indulge and eat pizza, fries and other processed foods.  Now I eat five times a day in small meals consisting of vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and fruit.  I'm sleeping far better than I ever have (albeit mostly because I'm now exhausted from waking up at an ungodly hour to exercise).  I can now do more pull-ups and push-ups than I ever thought possible. My flexibility and balance used to be comical at best (Mrs. GIAS would say my balance is still comical), let's just say I could not even come close to touching my toes; now I can grab my feet and hold a significant number of yoga poses without toppling over. Physically, I'm in the best shape of my life.  Don't ge me wrong, there's still PLENTY of room for improvement, but P90X has increased my fitness to a level I've never been to before (even after swimming competitvely in high school).

Here's a few stats to think about:

Before P90XAfter P90X
Weight200170
Waist3731
Body Fat24%13%
Cholesterol233159
Blood Pressure130/90108/70
Resting Heart Rate8560
Max Pullups132
Max Pushups2758
Vertical Leap1118

[/Start Lecture]
So what's the secret?  It's easy, eat clean and do the workouts.  80% of the visible results of P90X (or any fitness program, really) are going to come from your diet.  If you eat good food, in reasonable portions, you won't gain weight.  If you add intense exercise six days a week, you're going to speed up your metabolism and get dramatic results.  The biggest problem I've seen with P90X is that there are a lot more "before" pictures than "after" pictures.  People start strong and then "fall off" the nutrition wagon or skip some workouts, feel overwhelmed and decide they can't "catch up" and then it's over.  It's too bad really.  The easy advice is to just keep pushing play.  You miss a workout; fine.  Push play tomorrow.  You slip up and eat a carton of ice cream; fine.  Eat better tomorrow.  Everyday you workout and eat well you make yourself healthier, don't let a couple of indiscretions ruin your goals.  Yeah, the original program is 90 days long, but really, it gives you the tools to be healthy for the rest of your life.
[/Lecture over]

Anyway, as you can see, I have totally bought into the P90X way of life.  If you have questions about P90X or anything related, let me know and I'll answer the best I can.* 

*I'm NOT one of Beachbody's "Coaches" (network marketing salespeople, you know, like the Avon lady) that will try to sell you anything, I'm just a satisfied customer.  If you are looking for a Coach, let me know and I'll be happy to point you to a few that I've met becuase there are some that truly do want to help people get fit and healthy and not just lock them into to buying fitness products every month.

No comments: