Saturday, May 15, 2010

Heritage Park Triathlon Duathlon - Pre-Race

So I was getting all fired up for tomorrow's triathlon.  Yeah, it was going to be cold, it was probably going to rain, but I was excited and ready to go.  Then today when I went to packet pickup they told us that they canceled the swim and made the triathlon into a duathlon due to the inclement weather.  (For those of you not in Kansas City right now, it's been raining since Wednesday and it's about 50 degrees...but seriously, if I'm swimming I'm already wet...htfu.)

Buzzkill.

I was totally excited about the swim, I was doing this race to get open water experience swimming with a group and to practice transitions.  Now, not so much.  Now I have to run extra, not swim, not use my awesome new wetsuit and miss out on the discipline that I could actually do really well in.  No, I'm not a super speedy swimmer as far as swimmers go, but as far as triathletes go, I might be able to get near the front of the pack.  Arghhh!

OK, enough complaining.

So the duathlon is tomorrow and here's how it works.  2 mile run, 11.5 mile bike, 3 mile run.  So basically you replace the swim with a two mile run.  This will be good because I need to do more running and practicing the bike in a group is much needed too.

So here's the prediction:

2 mile run- start out with an easy pace and come into transition strong - 18 minutes

11.5 mile bike - go hard and see what happens - I'd love to go under 40 minutes, I think 45 is more realistic.  I previewed the course and it's got lots more hills than I thought it would so it could be a challenge.

3 mile run - if my knee is hurting - 33 minutes - if my knee is fine - 27 minutes - not blistering fast, but still pretty hard.

I'm a little worried about full on race pace for a run because my knee has been bothering me, so I'm taking it pretty easy in those predictions.  If it's feeling good, maybe it'll be better.

Back tomorrow to let you know what happens...

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Good luck dude and have fun! That blows about the swim, how colds the water?

Geek In A Speedo said...

Brandon - The water was abot 55 degrees; actually warmer than the ambient outside temperature at race time of 53 degrees. It would have been cold, but not unbearable with a wetsuit. They told us that the run-off from all of the rain had made the water quality too poor...not exactly sure what that means, but that's what they told us.