Sunday, May 30, 2010

Track Intervals

It's Memorial day weekend and I've been slacking a bit the last few days on structred workouts.  Friday I cleaned out the garage, Saturday I painted the trim on the front of our house and today, I needed to run.

I decided to try something a little different todayy so this afternoon I headed to the local high school and did some intervals on the track.  It was mid-afternoon and the sun was beating down to the tune of about 90 degrees.  Perfect for getting a solid sweat going and doing some speed work in the heat.

I warmed up with a quarter mile jog and then some stretching before getting into the intervals.  I decided I'd do distance rather than time intervals, just to see what happened.  I would go all out for a quarter mile (one lap) and then briskly walk a half lap, rinse and repeat until my quarter mile times were over 2 minutes (8 minute mile average). 

My first run interval was 1:32 (about a 6 minute mile) and the walk was about 2 minutes (16 minute mile).  I continued this cycle for about 25 minutes and was dripping sweat.  It felt good to get out and run hard, sweat buckets and torch some calories.  I think I'm going to start doing speed work once a week because it's quick, effective and (hopefully) easy to track progress.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

you should try doing hill repeats too--it's like intervals, but a lot harder.