Saturday, April 10, 2010

77 Minute Swim

Yeah, that's our oven clock when I left last night this morning.

Today, I had a nice long swim without any noticable injuries, no cramps, no interruptions, it was great.  I hit the pool about 4:30am and just swam.  I did ladders, stroke drills, 50's, 100's, all kinds of different stuff. 

You see, the thing about swimming by yourself is that when you stop, all you hear is the sound of yourself breathing; when you swim, all you hear is yourself splashing.  You basically stare at the black line on the bottom of the pool and have nothing to occupy yourself except for the fatigue in your shoulders, the burning in your lungs and whatever you choose to think about. 

That being said, just mindlessly swimming 100 yard intervals for an hour and fifteen minutes is basically like torture by sensory depravation.  The way you break that up is to switch up what you're doing with drills, strokes and games.  Yeah, "stroke count golf" sounds boring, but it helps to pass the time. 

Today, I used all my tricks and I need to find something new for next week...Suggestions?

1 comment:

x said...

I usually swim better with others.