Saturday, March 27, 2010

42 Minute Swim - 65 Minute Bike

All these weights with no one to lift them...kinda creepy.
Zero.

That's the number of people that were at the gym when I walked in this morning at 4:20am.  Usually there's a few people on a treadmill or elliptical, maybe one guy on a weight machine.  And there's usually a guy behind the desk (or within shouting distance of the desk).  Today, there was no one.  Not even the guy that works there (he must've been in the back somewhere).  It was a little creepy.

I got into the locker room, threw my stuff in locker 117 and hit the pool.  I had kind of a weird week because I didn't get in a short swim or short bike this week because I was staying too late at work.  It was OK because it's recovery week and I kept up on my other training, so I wasn't going to lose sleep over missing a 20 minute swim.  Anyway, I thought maybe to push myself a bit today I would try a little race against myself and do an indoor tri, 20 or 25 minutes of swimming, 40 minutes of biking and 20 minutes on the treadmill.  It would be a nice tight little workout and get me home by 7am, when Mrs. Gias requested that I be available so she could go shopping with her mother today (yeah, shopping at 7am, I don't know, I just do what I'm told). 

Ever seen a locker room at 4:30am?  Now you have.

Once I got in the pool I decided that I would do some ladders today because I had been struggling with finding a swim routine other than just 100 yard intervals or 1500's (which get monotonous).  Once I got into it I noticed that I was having a really good swim session so I extended my yardage a bit and went ahead and did a full 42 minutes in the pool and decided I would just do my usual Saturday swim/bike brick workout.

Today's ladder was 2x25, 2x50, 2x100, 2x200, 2x200, 2x100, 2x50, 2x25 for a total of 1800 yards.  I really liked the workout this way and I think I'll do it again next time.  It makes it easiser to not look at the clock, just go hard, 10 seconds rest and do the next set.

I finished in the pool and went out to do an hour or so on the spin bike before I needed to get home.  By this time there were about 6 people in the gym.  Frizzy McBlonde Hair and Old Navy were back, along with Brownie vonCrop Pants - the whole crew (plus a few people I hadn't seen before).  I think we should start a club and make shirts.

Anyway, I rode with a mid 90's cadence and finished with an average speed just over 21 mph.  Pretty solid ride and my knee started acting up a bit, but not enough to make me stop.  Tomorrow's run outside (hopefully) will be the real test of how my knee holds up.

No comments: