Wednesday, March 17, 2010

85 Minute Bike (Outside...FINALLY!)

I wore my bright orange since I was riding close to dusk...
...easier for cars to see me writhing on the ground when I fall for no reason.

I got on my bike with trepediation this afternoon.  This was my first time on this new bike.  This was my first time on any bike in over 15 years.  I had been anticipating the first ride of the season since December so I had plenty of time to worry.  I was worried I wouldn't remember how to ride, or if I would fall, or get a flat tire or get into an accident...Yeah, I was in my head just a little bit about this ride.  

This is where I rode today...the trail is gorgeous.

I started out slow and figured I would just ride down to a bike/running trail that is by our house and try to figure out what I was doing on there.  After I got going for about thirty or forty minutes I started to relax and really start enjoying the ride.  I hadn't been more than about 4 miles down the trail before (I've only run on it) so going another 10 miles or so was really cool.  The trail is beautiful, has a nice mix of rolling hills and curves, just a really great ride; I'm looking forward to riding it again.

A few quick notes:
  • I need to get bike shorts with a pad - there was a bit of chafing today.  (Too much information?  Sorry.)
  • I need to fix my bike computer (clicked off about 2 minutes into the ride), it's annoying to not know how fast or how far you're going.
  • STI shifting (on your brake levers instead of on the frame) makes riding 1 million percent easier than I remember - I just need to get better at it.
  • Coasting kicks ass - you stop pedaling and keep going...you totally can't do that running or swimming.
  • Biking scares me more than swimming.
  • My neck hurts twice as much as it did before I started riding.
  • I'm certain that I will have an accident involving toe clips...it will look hilarious to bystanders...it will hurt me severely.

1 comment:

Mrs. GIAS said...

There's a first time for everything, honey! I'm proud of you for getting out there and doing what you've been wanting to do for some time now. And if/when you fall off of your bike, you'll just do what we tell our girls when they fall down. "Brush it off." Get back on your bike and keep going! =)