Saturday, March 20, 2010

70 Minute Swim/141 Minute Bike

Yeah, that's 6 inches of snow.  It was sixty degrees 12 hours ago...WTF?

I woke up before my alarm this morning at about 3:50am.  (Note: In college I used to get home on Saturday mornings at 3:50am after a night of debauchery...how life changes...)  I quietly slipped around our bed to the alarm clock by Mrs. Gias's head (she likes it on her side) and clicked it off to make sure that she could sleep until a reasonable hour.  I then pulled on my Speedo and made my way downstairs for a quick bowl of oatmeal before my three and a half hour marathon session at the gym. 

As I was choking down my oatmeal I looked out the front door at the winter wonderalnd outside.  It's March 20th and we got like six inches of snow.  It was 60 degrees yesterday.  I've lived in Kansas my whole life, but I still cannot believe the swings in weather that we get.

I drove slowly on the snow covered roads to the gym.  I probably should have taken Mrs. Gias's 4x4 rather than my little two wheel drive sedan, but since there was no one else on the road, it wasn't too bad.

I got to the gym and there were all of two people there.  I jumped in the pool and started my workout.  I'm still trying to get over this chest congestion so my breathing wasn't ideal today, but it was a good workout overall.  I basically warmed up and then did 100 yard intervals for the remainder of the time on a 1:40 to 2:00 interval (slower as I did more intervals).  Near the end I got a pretty good leg cramp in my left leg so rather than cooling down, I jumped into the whirlpool to workout the cramp before hitting the bike.

I got out to the bike about 5:45am and there were now four people in the gym.  (Our numbers had increased by 100% since 4:30am.)  I started pedaling and watched Knocked Up on my Zune (it's almost exactly two hours and twenty minutes, so it worked perfect for the time I needed to ride).  I noticed after a few minutes that my knee was giving me a little trouble and I really didn't want to injure it any further, so I backed the resistance down to about half of what I ususally do and tried to keep my cadence in the low 80's rather than the mid 90's.  I could definitely still feel some discomfort, but I wanted to push through on the easier setting to see how I would feel at the end of the ride. 

I finished my ride about 8:00am and there were about 10 people in the gym, very light crowd.  The only person I recognized was Frizzy McBlonde hair, who is not frizzy anymore.  She got a haircut, the easiest way to describe it is the "Ellen Degeneres cut".  I was going to say something when she went to get a drink of water by the spin bikes, but I thought she would think it's creepy that I noticed and have never spoken to her before.  Of course, she'd probably think it was more creepy to know that I just dedicated a paragraph on my blog describing her hair for everyone.  Yeah, I'm creepy either way I guess.

The knee bothered me a bit this morning, but it's feeling better now.  I'm starting recovery week tomorrow in both P90X and in my TriTraining schedule, so my run should be short tomorrow.  We'll see how I get through it on my knee.

No comments: