Friday, March 5, 2010

Round 4: Day 34 - Insanity Max Interval Circuit

During Plank Punches I just imagine I'm punching the stop button on the DVD.

Insanity Max Interval Circuit from this morning goes something like this:
Jog in Place (more like "run for your life"),
Arms Up Jumping Jacks (jumping jacks with your arms straight up),
1-2-3 Heismans (three steps left with a high knee and back to the other side with another high knee),
Side-to-Side Jump Ropes (jump continuously elbows bent going from side to side to work your obliques),
Arms Out High Knees (High knees with arms out straight at shoulder level),
Switch Kicks (alternating leg jumping waist high kicks),
Hit the Floor (slap the ground and jump up),
Side-to-Side Floor Hops (plank position jump your legs high in the air to the right, back and then to the left).

Each exercise 30 seconds and repeat this sequence three times, increasing the intensity each time until you are going all out.

You finish this sequence dripping with sweat, look at the TV and realize in horror that there's still 45 minutes left

Yeah, that was the freaking warm-up.  The workout hasn't even started yet...shudder...

I have to admit, I started this workout with a bit of trepedation because I had some idea of what was coming.  You see, if you do a regular Insanity schedule, for the first four weeks, you do 40 minute workouts everyday, getting your body aclimated to high intensity cardio, then in the last four weeks you do "Max Interval" workouts.  These are basically the big brothers of the original 40 minute workouts.  They are more intense, use more compound moves and last 60 minutes.  Max Interval workouts are monsters.

Of course, in my infinite wisdom, Mrs. Gias and I are doing a hybrid schedule so we are only doing two Insanity workouts per week instead of the usual six.  I was a bit worried that our bodies would not acclimate to a Max Interval workout without some more work.  Surprisingly, we both did better than I expected.  I'd say that we both kept up with the DVD really well.

I have to admit, I really liked it. 

1 comment:

Mrs. GIAS said...

"I'm really worried about making it through this workout, yo." - Shaun T, before starting the nice and easy warm-up described above.

Inspiring, Shaun T. Thanks. I'm really looking forward to the next 60 minutes.