Sunday, January 24, 2010

29 Min Run (Treadmill)

29 Min Run (Treadmill) - 5:00am
2.85 miles
10:01 min/mile

I woke up a little earlier than usual today...before 5:00am...on a Sunday...to run...on a treadmill...what is wrong with me?  I wanted to start my run before Mrs. GIAS got up and came down to do our regular morning workout (short yoga today). Anyway, I flipped on the TV and James Cameron's The Abyss was just starting on HBO so I watched that while I ran on the treadmill. As an aside, Jim Cameron can make a movie...underwater drilling platform with aliens, sweet.  The Geek loves movies with aliens.

Anyway, it was a good run, I was tight and tired so I started at 5mph for half a mile, then ramped it up to 5.5mph, 6.0mph and 6.5mph every half mile after that for 29 minutes, settling in on 6.5 mph, although I think I could have gone faster. I know, I know, but anyone can go faster than that, Geek.  But you see, gentle reader, I've said it before and I'll say it again, running is an acquired taste for me, and right now it tastes like poop. 

I was working on my breath and on forefoot striking today, rather than the heel strike that I usually run with. I have read a bunch of stuff saying that forefoot strikes cause less injury and naturally shortens your stride to make you more comfortable when you run. Yeah, it's a little weird, but it plays to my geekiness and after trying it, I didn't seem to mind it at all. I'll try it some more on my runs to see what, if anything changes...perhaps running will taste less like poop.

No comments: