Saturday, January 23, 2010

48 Min Swim

48 Min Swim - 5:00am
2200 yds
45.83 yds/min

I was at the gym extra early because my training distances are getting longer and I still wanted to be home shortly after B and G wake up; what can I say, it's the weekend and I love my girls. Thus, I got up at 4:30am (yeah on a Saturday that's supposed to be my "rest day") and got to the gym a little before 5:00am.

I did a 100 warm up, then 21x100 with 15 seconds in between (I think I took 30 seconds after 10x100) and I flipped all of my turns at the 25yd and 75yd points and I got so into the zone that I ended up flipping a few of my other 50yd turns as well. Mostly, I took 2 breaths (instead of a flip turn) at the 50yd point and continued to swim. Right now in the pool, it's all about breath and endurance (yeah, yeah, technique too, but mostly I just want to make sure I don't drown).

At 24 Hour Fitness the pool area is connected directly to a dry sauna, wet sauna and whirlpool, all kind of in one big chlorine smelling concrete room.  There was a guy there that sat in the sauna (and then out of the sauna on a bench, alternating every 10 or 15 minutes) that was watching me pretty much the whole time I was swimming - which is fine. But I have to wonder, it's 5am on a Saturday, why in the he** did you come to the gym to sit in the sauna and watch some guy swim laps (poorly). Seriously, WTF?  I'd never seen him before so he couldn't have known that I would be there, so I think pedofile with infactuation of geeky 31 year olds is probably out.  Can the sauna at 24 Hour Fitness really be soooo good that you wake up early on a Saturday to hang out.  Kind of weird. 

Finally when I was getting ready to cool down, just a slow(er) 100 free and breast stroke mix, he came down to the side of the pool and hopped in.  Then he asked me how many laps I swam, and I almost wanted to ask him why he wasn't counting...but I didn't. Of course, I held that on the inside and just casually told him. As I got out, he got into the pool to do some walking/water sprinting as I went into the locker room. Wonder if he'll be there next week...

No comments: