Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Honey - An Old Wive's Tale Turns Out to be True!


As you know, B has recently had a terrible cough and had a terrible time trying to sleep.  So bad, that Mrs. GIAS and I had to miss a morning workout (a rare occurence for us) to deal with B.  This entailed me going to the drug store late at night to see if there is any medicine that a three year old can take (there's not) and then trying everything from a vaporizor, extra pillows and every other non-medical remedy we could think of.

Well, two nights ago, Mrs. GIAS said that she had some luck on Facebook with a few "home remedies" that we should try.  The one we used that seemed to work wonders (read: B has slept through the night the past two nights with NO coughing) was to have her take a teaspoon of honey before bed.  I was skeptical at first, but I have to tell you, now I'm a believer.  Then I found this article in the Times UK:

"Natural honey is a more effective remedy for children’s coughs than over-the-counter medicines, researchers say. A dose of buckwheat honey before bedtime easily outperformed a cough suppressant in a US study.

Honey did a better job of reducing the severity and frequency of night-time coughs. It also improved sleep quality for children and their parents."

The article didn't mention if this worked for adults as well, but I kind of hope I catch B's cough, just so I can try it.  Geeky and awesome.

No comments: