Saturday, February 27, 2010

35 Minute Swim & 60 Minute Bike (Stationary)

Not my girls, they were terrified of skating.

So it's my last Tri workouts for this recovery week, thus, I kept them pretty easy (considering it was a Saturday double workout).  Nothing too interesting to note at the gym, unfortunately (none of the regulars were there except for Old Navy - it was actually slower than usual).

I hit the pool about 4:30am, did some stroke work and then hit the bike for an hour.  I took it easy  and averaged about 19 mph for right about 20 miles.  Again, nothing special, just an easy workout thinking about recovering and hitting it really hard next week.

As I was driving home, however, it hit me kind of strangely.  I just finished a 2000 yard swim and a 20 mile bike ride before 7am on a Saturday morning and I was thinking about how "easy" I was taking it today.  WTF?  Never in a million years would I ever have thought I would be the guy thinking to himself that an hour and a half of cardio before the sun comes up was taking it "easy".  My oh my, how perspective can change in a year.

As an aside, I actually did a "winter triathlon" of sorts today.  After my swim and bike I picked up my girls and took them to see Clifford (the big red dog from the cartoon) at the Crown Center Ice Terrace (outdoor skating rink).  I hadn't put on ice skates in over a decade, but I did pretty well.  B was terrified of skating, G wanted nothing more than to run away and live at the Ice Terrace forvever (she's much more daring, obviously) and they both loved meeting Clifford (some dude in a suit on ice skates - how do I get that job, by the way?).  And me, well I considered my "Swim Bike Skate" to be a nice little winter triathlon. 

Nothing quite like going from a swimming pool to an ice skating rink in the matter of a couple hours.

No comments: