Sunday, February 28, 2010

58 Minute Run (Outside!)

58 Minute Run - 1pm
54:07 Minute Actual
6 Miles
6.65 mph
9 minute mile

It was a blistery 36 degrees today (so I broke my arbitrary sub-40 no outside workout rule), but it was sunny and I couldn't take running on the treadmill again, so I finally got outside to do some "actual running" instead of spinning my wheels on the suckmill.  I don't want to understate this, so let me be clear...it was awesome.

I was at my parent's house with my girls, and when they went down for their afternoon nap, I put on some shorts, grabbed my iPod (yeah, yeah, I know...but Geek, don't you have a Zune?  I'm a geek, I've got both...get over it already) and started running.  There's a trail that starts about a half mile from their house, so I went down a couple blocks and hopped on the trail.  It's a beautiful asphalt trail through the woods that, if you go from end to end, is about 11 or 12 miles.  Of course I didn't need to go that far, so I ran the trail three miles and then turned around to come back.  I felt like I kept a nice pace and it actually has some nice hills so there was plenty of variety. 

As you probably know, I've never been a runner.  In fact, I typically hate running.  My old joke was always, "I only run if I'm being chased" or some stupid variation of that.  But today felt different.  I've been running consistently (on a treadmill, of course) for the past two months and I finally got to go cover some ground and I really liked it.  I had my iPod pounding out some tunes, I had a general plan as to where I wanted to go and I just ran.  It was great.  I can see where some people really like to get out and just run.

A few observations:
  • I tried to smile and say hi to everyone I saw on the trail.  A little lame and weird, maybe.  But I'm out running because I want to, if I'm not having fun, then what the hell am I doing out there, I should just stay home and eat pizza, right?  I figure everyone else is out there because they want to be as well...so they should be happy, right?  Let's just say I did not get reciprocation from everyone I saw.
  • Yes, it was 36 degrees, but I saw far too many people wearing heavy coats, gloves and hats for how warm it actually felt.  I was in a long sleeve UnderArmor shirt and shorts and was fine, what's wrong with everyone's internal temperature?
  • I used a Genius autofill for my iPod today and I set the starting song on an old school Nirvana song from their Incesticide album.  I basically just wanted some rock/alternative to run to.  This ended up being awesome, I heard some old stuff I hadn't heard in a long time, Stone Temple Pilots, Seven Mary Three, Cream, Nirvana, Black Crowes...then it got weird for a few songs.  Apple decided that I also wanted to listen to Tom Petty (which I guess I can understand, but it's not really the same) and then...Phish.  OK, I know what you're thinking, "Geek, you're the one with a Phish CD, why are you complaining?" True, it's from a phase in high school where I probably didn't know what I was doing, but why on earth would it Genius think that a jam band would match the rest of what was on my playlist?  Awkward.
  • Now I'm wondering, what the hell happens when I put a Phish song as the starting place for Genius?  What does that playlist look like? (Yeah, I'm totally doing that tomorrow.)
  • It's harder to keep a steady pace outside without mile markers of some kind, I need to remember that.
  • It's totally easier to lengthen your stride when you're not on a treadmill and can vary your tempo slightly.
  • Six miles is the furthest I've ever run continuously (no walking at all today) and I still had plenty left in the tank.  I'm feeling good about this race.

2 comments:

Mrs. GIAS said...

Six miles is the furthest I've ever run continuously (no walking at all today) and I still had plenty left in the tank. I'm feeling good about this race.


"Like."

(Oh, wait... You don't Facebook. You see, when you like or agree with what someone writes on Facebook, you click "Like." Get it? Sheesh...You'd know that if you weren't such a Geek.)

Kelly said...

I love Genius. I especially like it when Robert sets it up with some "cool" song from his collection, and then the iPod decides that something from MY collection (like High School Musical or Neil Diamond) is an appropriate match. Makes me laugh every time.