Friday, February 5, 2010

Round 4: Day 6 - Pure Cardio/Cardio Abs

Shaun T and the kids doing Wide Tuck Jumps...scary?

"I've got to be honest with y'all, I'm a little bit scared of this workout."  -Shaun T, creator of Insanity.

Yeah, it's a nice warm fuzzy feeling when one of the first things the fitness instructor says is that he is scared of the workout you're about to do.  Great Shaun, if you're scared, how am I supposed to be feeling?  Giddy with excitement?  Ready to take on the world? 

No...the correct answer is "worried that I might die."

After that little pick me up at the beginning I didn't have much time to think about what was going on becuase this workout moves.  After the warm up and stretch, there are no breaks, just full blast cardio work touching the floor, jumping up, doing pushups and jumping back up again.  This workout was no joke.  It was a nice change from our regular Kenpo X sessions on Fridays and I have to admit, I am really starting to like Insanity.

After being tortured by Pure Cardio, Mrs. GIAS and I went ahead and popped in Cardio Abs from Insanity as well (hey, it's on the scheudle, you have to do it, right?).  Cardio Abs is a 16 minute ab workout that relies heavily on the "C sit position" which is basically balancing on your butt while doing various leg and arm lifts at different angles.   (If you've done P90X, Cardio Abs is to Insanity as Ab Ripper X is to P90X.) It works you "nice and good" to quote Shaun T.  I like having a tough, dedicated ab workout three times a week to make sure my core stays strong and this will do the trick nicely.

Overall, these two workouts are definitely keepers, no matter how scared Shaun T is.

No comments: