Saturday, February 20, 2010

58 Minute Swim

It is a weird feeling to have a Speedo and flip flops on when it's snowing outside. Welcome to my world.

58 Minute Swim - 4:30am
100 Warm up
1 x 1500 26:30 (~1:46/100 yds)
Stroke Drills

I had another great swim session today.  It was early and I was sore from the week's activities, but I hit the pool right at 4:30am and started to work.  After a short warm up and stretch I jumped right into a 1500 (race distance).  It's funny, you get through about 100 yards or so (4 of 60 total laps) and you start trying to make deals with yourself.  "Oh, my arms are sore, I'll just stop and stretch them out," or "I'm not feeling like I'm getting enough air today, maybe I should take it easy and not do this crazy distance," etc.  Swimming by yourself is totally a mind over matter workout; you just have to tell yourself, "I'll push through another 4 laps and see how I am," and pretty soon those few other laps and you're up to 40 or 50 laps and you realize that you just have 10 or 15 laps to go so you can't stop now...  It's a weird game I end up playing with myself, it's like a constant negotiation with myself. 

Anyway, I got through the 1500 a bit slower than earlier this week, but still respectable (frankly, if I did a few extra laps in there I wouldn't be surprised, counting 60 laps is pretty monotonous...).  After I finished I did some stroke work, trying to keep my head down and rolling enough on my side to keep my hips up.  It's oddly harder than it sounds, but when it works, you really feel like your floating on top of the water and gliding much more efficiently. 

Once again with a few minutes left in my session, my left calf cramped up again, just like last week.  I jumped out and went straight to the whirlpool to work it out before the bike.  If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing the cramp, let me know.  (Yes, I had 32oz of water before starting my swim, so I doubt it was dehydration this week, although it's possible.) 

No comments: